I was asked this question on my Formspring yesterday, and I proceeded to write a long, detailed list on how to get WWE on the right track again. Here’s that list. You’re welcome. Also, it’s long. If I haven’t mentioned how long this post is, let me warn you again: it’s pretty long.
The WWE can be good if they keep their focus on the in-ring product (from August until around December, WWE’s shows were fantastic), but sometimes they get too involved with lowbrow, childish humor & pandering to the (admittedly young) audience. Straight up, here’s what they need to do.
1. Focus on the wrestling- Yeah, I know they’re an “entertainment” brand now, but the in-ring product has glimpses of brilliance here and there when given the chance. People like Daniel Bryan, Christian (I’ll get back to him later), Punk, Sin Cara, Ziggler, Swagger, Del Rio, Kofi- they can all bring it in the ring. Yeah, we know about Cena’s 5 moves of doom, but play to his strengths more, have him learn a couple more moves. Orton needs to change up his repertoire; he’s becoming as predictable as Cena at this point. Also, if given the chance, the Divas can impress. Beth, Melina (who’s still a bit rough), Nattie, & Gail are great talents, Kelly Kelly & Layla (as well as most of the female roster) are improving, and Kharma Kong’s a great new asset to the team who’s over as hell already. We all know that 1:30 matches are a waste of Divas’ time as well as ours. Go hard or go home.
2. Make some new feuds & give other wrestlers the spotlight.- So Ziggler & Swagger don’t have great mic skills. That’s why you have Vickie & Michael Cole there for. They’ll give them the heat that they need, while the wrestlers will do what they do best. Although I’m not a huge fan, Morrison could make a solid contender, as can Bryan. I’m sick of seeing Cena, Orton, Miz & Sheamus being the only constants in the title picture. I don’t mind any of them, but give it a break already.I can say that I like what they’re doing with R-Truth’s character. He’ll be a solid mid-card threat, perfect for when Morrison & others are out of the title picture.
Also, fucking Christian dude. I mean…fuck. He’s over as fuck. He’s just about the best wrestler on the roster. He’s fantastic on the mic, he’s a great, smarmy face as well as an asshole, cocky heel. He’s got Edge’s approval, as well as the entire roster backing him. The Rock even pre-approved him. I mean, come on! What the fuck WWE?
3. Drop the brand extension & unify the belts- There should be four titles total: WWE, Intercontinental, Diva & Tag Team. Also, as of late, no one’s taking the extension seriously- Del Rio was on Raw for about 2 months consecutively before he was traded, as was Ziggler, LayCool and a multitude of others.
4. Tag Team Division perhaps?- Make the titles relevant again. I know people complain about just “throwing teams together”, but whatever. You have no built in teams anymore, so just create some. I’ll even help.
Chavo & Sin Cara: this’ll give Chavo something to do besides jobbing on Superstars, plus Sin Cara won’t have to carry a match on his own.
Zack Ryder & Santino- Ultimate comedy team, it’ll put Ryder over with the fans, they’re both solid (in Santino’s case, solid enough) in the ring, plus imagine the skits between them. I’d love to see Santino tan, with a popped collar & spiked hair.
Kofi & Evan Bourne- two solid high-flyers who are just different enough to stand out from the pack
Bryan & Yoshi- could be a comedy team (especially if Yoshi’s mannerisms are lost in translation), but they’re both solid enough workers to look like a legit threat to the division.
Rhodes & Dibiase- fucking duh.
Brodus Clay & Mark Henry- because we need that prerequisite “huge overwhelming threat” team in the division.
5. Bring in more wrestlers- Um…where’s AJ Lee? Seth Rollins? Jon Moxley?
6. PUT THE FUCKING BELT ON CHRISTIAN FOR FUCKS SAKE
Think that’s enough. Looks like this’ll be an impromptu blog post now.
And look at that, it was an impromptu blog post.